Performs comprehensive nutrition assessments of assigned patients, developing care plans, and providing medical nutrition therapy, clinical guidance, nutrition education and counseling to meet normal and therapeutic needs consistent with VNS Hospice Care policies. Works under general supervision.
• Assesses and evaluates nutritional status of individual patients utilizing professional knowledge, interviewing skills and evidence-based guides to provide quality patient care.
• Evaluates patient’s physical condition and calculates therapeutic diet to meet the specific requirements of individual patient. Recommends to physician the plan of care, and advises physician of patient progress.
• Establishes nutritional plan based on assessment of patient’s condition. Monitors patient’s progress and recommends/revises changes in nutritional plan for effective patient care.
• Coordinates with team members and develops patient care plan to meet identified nutrition needs. Seeks clinical guidance from Nutrition Manager on hard to service cases.
• Documents patient care information such as evaluation data, treatments, communications on patient progress, patient responses to interventions and desired goals on a timely basis in patient’s medical record.
• Initiates and maintains verbal/written communication according to VNS Health Hospice Care policy to ensure coordinated patient quality care.
• Provides nutrition counseling to patients and/or caregivers utilizing educational materials, modified diets and individualized teaching aids to ensure patient understanding of the overall plan of care and its implications.
• Manages nutrition care planning of assigned caseload of patients from evaluation to discharge.
• Maintains productivity level of patient visits sufficient to meet program needs.
• Participates in agency in-service education programs, QA reviews, interdisciplinary team meetings and case conferences.
• Acts as liaison to other community agencies to gather and disseminate information on nutrition trends and changes.
• Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
QualificationsLicenses and Certifications:
Current registration to practice as a Registered Dietitian from American Dietetic Association OR current Certification to practice in NY State as a Certified Dietitian-Nutritionist required
Valid driver’s license as determined by operational/regional needs may be required Education:
Bachelor's Degree with major in food and nutrition or equivalent experience required
Master's Degree in nutrition or public health preferredWork Experience:
Minimum one year of professional experience as a registered/certified dietician required
In lieu of work experience, a Master’s Degree in nutrition or public health will be considered
Effective oral/written/interpersonal communication skills required
Compensation Range From and To:$31.03 - $37.08 Hourly
About VNS Health
Curious to know what it’s like to work at VNS Health? We’re a diverse group. Our frontline team encompasses nurses, social workers, rehab therapists, physicians, nurse practitioners, and other clinical professionals as well as home health aides. We’ve learned that caring for people in their homes and communities is incredibly rewarding, and it provides a level of insight you rarely get in a hospital or office setting.
Our teams also include professional roles in finance, IT, marketing, human resources, business strategy, health plan services, and more. We’re aligned around a common mission, and we invite you to join us.
What Sets Us Apart
At VNS Health, you’ll have the opportunity to meaningfully impact lives. Including yours. We expect the best — and we recognize that we need to give our best too. That’s why we provide our team members with a comprehensive employment experience.
Our three Core Values — empathy, integrity, and agility — guide everything we do. They’re what we bring to the table as individuals, as teams, and as an organization. They unify us around our common mission: To improve the health of people in need.
VNS Health draws on a rich history and a legacy of trust to build a bright future. You can take pride in doing meaningful work that has the power to improve people’s health and change their lives.
Whether you’re a new graduate or looking for a leadership position, VNS Health provides the tools you need to be successful, from an onboarding buddy to opportunities for professional growth and training to grow your career.
Your Total Rewards
VNS Health offers robust and affordable benefits to meet your needs. These include flexible paid time off, tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, fertility benefits, and several programs designed to increase your wealth, like employer-matched retirement funds, as well as personal and financial wellness programs.