• Assesses clients and/or family psychosocial status, social work needs and living conditions utilizing professional knowledge, skills of observations and interviewing skills.
• Establishes the social work component of the patient/family plan of care based on goals mutually acceptable to the client, family and significant others. Makes referrals to other community services, as necessary.
• Travels to patients’ homes and/or other facilities with varying environments (e.g., elevated buildings, walk-ups, care facilities, single/multiple family homes, presence of pets, etc.) using approved transportation options to deliver direct service to the client.
• Provides psychosocial work services to patient and/or family, including short-term individual counseling, community resource planning, and crisis intervention. Responds to emergent psychosocial patient and family needs, as requested.
• Provides advocacy to patient and/or family, e.g., assistance in obtaining entitlements and community services.
• Provides social work services in accordance with VNS Health policies, practices, procedures and Standards of Social Work Practice, which may require standing, stooping, sitting, crouching, bending and stretching to deliver patient care, as needed.
• Initiates and maintains verbal and written communication according to VNS Home Care policy, including the preparation of clinical and progress notes, to ensure optimal quality care.
• Manages social work planning for a caseload of patients prescribed by the physician and other team members from assessment to discharge. Maintains productivity sufficient to meet program goals.
• Assists the physician and other team members in understanding the significant social and emotional factors related to the patient’s health problems.
• Participates in the development of treatment plans and revises the goals as needed. Coordinates approaches to patient and/or family care with other team members.
• Consults with and educates the patient and family regarding the treatment plan, self-care techniques and prevention strategies.
• Utilizes appropriate community resources and serves as a liaison between VNS Health and other community agencies.
• Participates in discharge planning.
• Assumes responsibility for continued professional growth, such as in-service programs.
• Transports and utilizes VNS Health designated/supplied carrying case weighing up to 30 lbs. (as needed) to and from patient homes/care facilities, VNS Health offices and other locations.
• Acts as a resource to VNS Health staff.
• For Gender Affirmation Program only:
• Follows up with patients after discharge, as needed.
• Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Curious to know what it’s like to work at VNS Health? We’re a diverse group. Our frontline team encompasses nurses, social workers, rehab therapists, physicians, nurse practitioners, and other clinical professionals as well as home health aides. We’ve learned that caring for people in their homes and communities is incredibly rewarding, and it provides a level of insight you rarely get in a hospital or office setting.
Our teams also include professional roles in finance, IT, marketing, human resources, business strategy, health plan services, and more. We’re aligned around a common mission, and we invite you to join us.
At VNS Health, you’ll have the opportunity to meaningfully impact lives. Including yours. We expect the best — and we recognize that we need to give our best too. That’s why we provide our team members with a comprehensive employment experience.
Our three Core Values — empathy, integrity, and agility — guide everything we do. They’re what we bring to the table as individuals, as teams, and as an organization. They unify us around our common mission: To improve the health of people in need.Learn More
VNS Health draws on a rich history and a legacy of trust to build a bright future. You can take pride in doing meaningful work that has the power to improve people’s health and change their lives.Learn More
Whether you’re a new graduate or looking for a leadership position, VNS Health provides the tools you need to be successful, from an onboarding buddy to opportunities for professional growth and training to grow your career.Learn More
VNS Health offers robust and affordable benefits to meet your needs. These include flexible paid time off, tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, fertility benefits, and several programs designed to increase your wealth, like employer-matched retirement funds, as well as personal and financial wellness programs.Learn More